As mentioned in the previous chapter, the institutional development of physics in the Faculty of Engineering and Related Branches is associated with the name of Walter S. Hill. From his entry as Head of Physics Laboratory, to the transformation of the laboratory into an Institute in 1941, his vision of physics was the vision that developed the Institute and the Udelar. As is made clear in another work, this conception of physics is very tied to the function of the laboratory as a space that went far beyond mere teaching. As an example, we can take the article he published in 1940 in the Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, titled “Absorption of fluorescence light by the fluorescent liquid” (Hill 1940). The first works that could be developed in Uruguayan laboratories, with scarce instrumental and input capacities, aimed primarily at the pedagogical work in a very specific way: teaching from the replication of experiments. These first steps in the laboratory of the Faculty of Engineering, which brought together professors, assistants, and students in the challenge of verifying results obtained elsewhere, were the first form of connection with the international world of physics. These practices oriented towards the replication of experiments had a lot to do with the material possibilities at this initial stage, marked by the lack of resources but also with the expectation of scientific development in contact with some developments that were practiced in the world. Following the example taken from the referred article, the theme of the absorption of light in fluorescent environments coincides with the studies on cathode rays that at the time led the French chemist Jean Perrin to win the Nobel Prize. That is to say, even though the exercise was not of intellectual creation, using the laboratory for the experimental training of students was also a way to stay updated on the problems that arose and appeared in the international bibliography.

错误:搜索内容不能为空,请输入英文关键词
错误:关键词超出字数限制,请精简
高级检索

The University and Science Around 1950

  • Juan A. Queijo Olano,
  • Evelyn Mozo Meneses

摘要

As mentioned in the previous chapter, the institutional development of physics in the Faculty of Engineering and Related Branches is associated with the name of Walter S. Hill. From his entry as Head of Physics Laboratory, to the transformation of the laboratory into an Institute in 1941, his vision of physics was the vision that developed the Institute and the Udelar. As is made clear in another work, this conception of physics is very tied to the function of the laboratory as a space that went far beyond mere teaching. As an example, we can take the article he published in 1940 in the Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciências, titled “Absorption of fluorescence light by the fluorescent liquid” (Hill 1940). The first works that could be developed in Uruguayan laboratories, with scarce instrumental and input capacities, aimed primarily at the pedagogical work in a very specific way: teaching from the replication of experiments. These first steps in the laboratory of the Faculty of Engineering, which brought together professors, assistants, and students in the challenge of verifying results obtained elsewhere, were the first form of connection with the international world of physics. These practices oriented towards the replication of experiments had a lot to do with the material possibilities at this initial stage, marked by the lack of resources but also with the expectation of scientific development in contact with some developments that were practiced in the world. Following the example taken from the referred article, the theme of the absorption of light in fluorescent environments coincides with the studies on cathode rays that at the time led the French chemist Jean Perrin to win the Nobel Prize. That is to say, even though the exercise was not of intellectual creation, using the laboratory for the experimental training of students was also a way to stay updated on the problems that arose and appeared in the international bibliography.