Introduction—Coade Artificial Stone and Its Marks
摘要
The origins of the high-fired ceramic Coade stone from Eleanor Coade’s taking over Daniel Pincot’s ailing manufactory in 1769, through William Croggon’s proprietorship after her death in 1821 to its eventual closure in 1838 are discussed and comparison made with its porcelain analogues. A comprehensive survey is made of extant examples of Coade stone and those that bear a range of factory marks which are described over the production period from the earliest in the 1770s, through the partnership with John Sealy from 1772 to the latest mark in 1837.